12.2.08

"It would change, depending on what mood you were in..."

I have a dilemma. I download probably about a gigabyte of music at a time, about twice a week, by illegal means. I haven't been subpoenaed by the RIAA (yet), that last part was just thrown in to let you know that I'm not crazy about intangible music stores like iTunes. I try to tell myself that it's those that are killing the record store, not the P2P service because records are downloaded en masse at a flat rate... more than a nerdy clerk with awesome taste and several daunting racks of wax can do for you. That doesn't stop me though, I went to A.K.A. Saturday and bought four CDs. When was the last time you bought four fucking CDs? Remember album artwork and liner notes? They're really cool. (Liam Finn-I'll Be Lightning, Siouxsie and the Banshees-The Scream, Belle and Sebastian-Wrapped Up In Books E.P., Cat Power-Moon Pix) Um, but that was not what this entry was supposed to be about. My dilemma is that I download all this fucking music and I don't listen to it, especially lately when the only things I ever put on are Back To Black or Tigermilk. So I decided today, after downloading more fucking shit (Japanther, as recommended by Cat Power Show-girl, Blood On The Wall etc.), that I would shuffle my "Recently Added" smartplaylist in iTunes. It didn't really work.

It only managed to touch on a few bands over the course of a few hours: Quasimoto, Isobel Campbell, the occasional Blood on the Wall or Radish track, A Tribe Called Quest, Camera Obscura, Prefuse-73, These New Puritans, KT Tunstall (fuck it, I love her), a little Every Time I Die. This was out of forty-three possible artists! Six-hundred nine songs! I don't understand iTunes... everything about it is pretty irrational, though it has me constantly hanging on. I hope to hell tomorrow is a two-hour delay, lord knows I need the sleeppppp.

This weekend: Movie fucking watching. Rosemary's Baby + The Shining + loads more goodies! And wow, mid-week already.

Don't you hate how Pitchfork's "Best New Music" is usually really damn good?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i bought 4 cds in um..the summer?

rosemary's baby! the shining! my two favorite scary movies

my v key works!

Ace Ignatius said...

the shining is terrifyingly awesome

the book is even more scary!

ashlee said...

sometimes i buy CDs, but it's so much easier to be an asshole and donwload them. i love love love siouxsie and the banshees, and kt tunstall, and the shining. pitchfork, however, i don't love. they're harsh.

Anonymous said...

dude i listened to ill be lightning for 3 straight weeks, great album. "lead balloon" and "this place is killing me" i could not stop playing