22.3.10

Boy on the Verge

I borrowed Vendela Vida's Girls on the Verge from my cousin who gets an A+ for her (to my total delight) so-clearly-a-Gen-Xer bookshelf. Douglas Coupland's Generation X, Shiny Adidas Tracksuits and the Death of Camp, various McSweeney's, etc. The book is an excellent series of firsthand accounts of different rituals the modern day girl chooses to go through: marriage, rushing a Sorority, the debutante ball. But I look like an idiot carrying it around:


My cousin is also an OG Death Cab fan from back in the day. She saw them with the Dismemberment Plan during the amazingly named Death and Dismemberment tour. I had so quickly outgrown Transatlanticism that I couldn't take seriously claims that their old stuff is a lot better and a lot different. And actually when I hear a song like "Crooked Teeth," or even "I Will Posses Your Heart," I always feel like such an idiot for writing their new stuff off. But it's too late now. Or not. Because I ripped We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes and haven't stopped listening to it. It's fucking awesome.



It's mathy and has killer hooks and mopes only maybe a third of the time (Why do I think this is a bad thing for some bands and not others? I don't get me.) Some tracks remind me of American Football (this is always good if we're talking about a band that formed before the insane Philadelphia math rock boom of 2008.) I hate being wrong.

No comments: