16.1.09

THERE WAS LOTS OF BULLSHIT MUSIC IN 08

Fleet Foxes put me to sleep like the Panda Bear record did last year. But the Panda Bear record has since become one of my sister and I's mutual favorite things so who knows? I didn't think many albums came out this year that had much worth but there WERE a few.

1. Titus Andronicus-The Airing of Grievances
Ok so yeah this year wasn't all that exciting for music. But then there's this, this grimy suburban screed from North Jersey with enough teenage misery for an army of prep-school nihilists/Sartre-scholars in the making. The song titles speak for themselves - No Future Part 2: Day After No Future, My Time Outside the Womb, Albert Camus, Fear and Loathing in Mahwah New Jersey. Nothing hits closer to home sometimes than these words.

2. No Age- Nouns
I think if I were around in 1992, Sonic Youth would be my No Age and Dirty would be my Nouns. They represent something larger than themselves: nationwide DIY, trendy skateboarding (lol), bedroom experimentation, cool teenagedom. My favorite lyric of the year: "With passion it's true." CRED ALERT - SAW THESE GUYS IN A BASEMENT AFTER P4K FEST.

3. Algernon Cadwallader-Some Kind of Cadwallader
get up GET THE FUCK UP PUT A SMILE ON YOUR FACE THERE IS NOTHING ON YOUR MIND BUT THESE INTERTWINING GUITARS AND THAT GUY THAT GUY CANT REALLY SING CAN HE?! Fuck all. This band does not sound like Cap'n Jazz. This band does not sound like American Football. This band sounds like twinkly emo finally made it to Philadelphia. I am thankful.

4. Los Campesinos!-Hold on Now, Youngster...
Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth.

5. Los Campesinos!-We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed
Love is a losing game.

3 comments:

caitlin said...

yeah, NOT a fan of panda bear, but i thought fleet foxes was...cute? i don't know, they made my top 5. i guess simply because there were slim pickings this year.

miles said...

LOL what is a blog

One good turn gets most of the blankets said...

:D