30.4.08

I didn't take no shortcuts.

Often, I have all of these little nicks on my hands and fingers and I wonder where they're from until I start picking at them. They get worse, they begin to sting, they bleed and I am left wishing I didn't fuck with my dry, cut up dishwasher's hands to begin with.

Tonight, Miles popped my cherry. And by that I mean he took me to Two Cousins to get a cheesesteak which is something that I've never done. Not the cheeseteak part, had plenty of those. The Two Cousins bit. Since the halcyon Sam and Henry days I've heard about this steak (that it was good, the best maybe) but I never made the journey. I was feeling a total lack of Miles this weekend so we made a date for this afternoon; Two Cousins cheesesteak, Wawa milkshake, scope out the new Hockessin library... you know, dude stuff. Ha!

I've been telling everyone about this song/video. Maybe you know it already, maybe you don't. Dirty Projectors got a lot of press last year for their new record
Rise Above, a song by song cover of Black Flag's Damaged re-done from memory in a less hardcore persuasion. I didn't bother to check it out until I went on Pitchfork.tv two days ago and this video immediately started playing:

Dirty Projectors-"Rise Above" (live in some trendster's loft)

It's cool to hear the lyrics in an entirely different context. They take on a whole new set of idealogical problems. Plus, this dude's singing is really, stirringly emotive.

My dad won't stop cooking salmon. It reminds me of mud. Your thoughts?

Finally on a weirder note, I notice every year that girls really bloom in the spring. It's definitely a season that compliments them them. Maybe it's an internal thing where I'm getting restless and looking at them more or maybe they really do pull out all stops in temperatures in the upper-60s; regardless, all of you ladies are incredibly awesome humans in all sorts of ways so be very, very proud.

P.S. I'm still on this massive, seemingly incurable and constant Sleater-Kinney kick. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Alex said...

My parents cook salmon a lot too, unfortunately. Maybe it's just easy to make.

mimicool said...

suggestions ummm......stop listening to sleater kinney?