7.2.09

TWEE BUMMER

Ugh dude I've been all over The Pains of Being Pure at Heart since like, November when I saw a pic of their E.P. on the Titus Andronicus Flickr. I pirated a leak of their full-length and got down to it all through Christmas break. It's fucking awesome. I guess for one thing they're not very subtle. They're obviously going for the whole early-90s British/Twee thing. Their album cover totally apes Belle and Sebastian, their distorted but shimmery guitars are totally Jesus and Mary Chain and the cooing male/female vocals remind me of some My Bloody Valentine. I have no problem with these things however and neither should you. They make me smile real big.

"but come saturday, you'll come to stay
you'll come to sway in my arms
who cares if there's a party somewhere
we're gonna stay in

come saturday, you'll come to say
maybe there's no harm
in a wasted summer with no drama,
we're gonna stay in"
-"Come Saturday"

They just got best new music'ed today. No big deal. Just wish I wrote about them sooner so I didn't seem like some bandwagon newb. They're playing Kung Fu Necktie sometime soon. 21+ NO HOMO UGH. They might be 09's jollier answer to the aforementioned Titus Andronicus.


Um, this is the wrong cover but whatever. Snag this record quick before they become another hipster commodity.

In other news, tonight I spent a solid hour and twenty minutes watching Septa Rail Fan videos on Youtube. The one I was most stoked about was this:

It's the El from 40th Street Station to the 69th Street Terminal. I've only ever been as far as 46th but I yearrrrrnnnn to go all the way with the MFL man seriously. I had this dream where I went to Millbourne. It was an amazing community with tidy houses and a delightfully suburban grid layout. This probably isn't the case as it's wedged between kinda-scary-Westernmost-Philadelphia and seen-better-days-Upper Darby but the point is I dream of these things. Also, I got really excited when Danielle called it the El and not the MFL/Blue Line/Subway.

Chester County SEPTA cool kids, doesn't this bum you out?

"Until September 19, 1986, commuter service on the line continued past Elwyn to West Chester. In fact, the line itself is still known in official documentation as the West Chester Line. Major rehabilitation was needed on the line, and SEPTA had limited funds for the necessary repairs. In addition, Chester County was more interested in expanding the Exton Station on SEPTA's R5 Paoli/Downingtown line. SEPTA only had funds for one of the two projects, so R3 service to West Chester was terminated in favor of expanded R5 service."

From the R3 Wikipedia article. I hope they go through with the proposed extension to Wawa. No more dreaded Granite Run Mall traffic for John to fret about in the back seat as I speed to catch a train.

2 comments:

Mike V said...

yeah dude! I take the El out to 69th whenever I go home usually. Take the bus, it's 2 bucks to get home, totally worth it.

Anonymous said...

Millbourne ...see: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7145146489936087467&hl=en

It's nice here.