6.6.09

Teenage Cool Kids

I definitely don't listen to much music anymore. I mean, probably more than most people still, but not as much as IIII used to. Which is sort of fine, I decided today. I think it came about from a lot of factors. I had headphones for only the first half of second semester, so it was very rare I listened to music for MY own enjoyment after spring break. I think I kicked it with some Wilco, Japandroids, some other stuff. Listening to less and less music was definitely a yearlong trend too. I lived on a floor with mostly film majors. Movies are something I'm mildly well-versed in so I just kinda ran with that...these days I go to the movies more than I go to shows. I could just be going through a dry period, NOTHING HAS REALLY CAUGHT MY EAR. Also, music criticism has been stale this year, I think. No one is picking up magazines anymore, of course. Plus, Spin and Rolling Stone etc. are just covering the same banal crap as everyone else: Vampire Weekend, AnCo, Lady GaGa, reunions, Green Day...whatever. I don't even know! Should I? Am I wrong? The internet is even worse. You expect the internet to offer exciting criticism. Pitchfork, however, is either pandering or middling. Pandering in their predictable heroes of 2009: Grizzly Bear, AnCO again, Phoenix, St. Vincent, Dan Deacon, Wavves... lo fi, experimental jizz, IDM, whateverrrrr. Same old shit, amifuckinrite? ONCE IN A BLUE MOON Pitchfork will really offer something that's overlooked: your Japandroids, Woods. Middling in that every day there's a swath of 5.0s-7.0s with accompanying reviews that accomplish little... As far as larger publications go, Magnet admittedly does run a pretty great website after years of ignoring the format. Other than that, I'm bored. I know I'm missing something: give me something to read, somebody! I need new avenues of finding new music. My best bet is usually the front page of sordo music database, some kind of shady operation.

1 comment:

Brooks said...

music's been pretty boring this year, dan deacon's been an exception. but the best record i've heard is double dagger's more. art punk or something silly like that, it's fantastic.

http://www.mediafire.com(slash)?c4qjtdgjzgo